Saturday, May 28, 2016

 
I am still working on revising and editing Sinners Take All (working title was A Bachelor No More) Book 1 of the new Quest for the Shroud Series. In the meantime, I'd like to post the teaser for Book 2 which will be titled Secrets, Lies and Sins.
You might remember Oliver Talbot, the Marquess of Braxton, from the Lords of Avalon Series. This is what happens when he runs into Caitriona Kinross, whom he hasn't seen in three years, Hope you enjoy!
 
Excerpt from
Secrets, Lies and Sins
Book 2 of the Quest for the Shroud Series
By K. R. Richards
 
Oliver Talbot, the Marquess of Braxton, remained out of sight on the shady side of the garden shed. If luck was with him this day, he’d catch his prey and if it wasn’t, he’d return to Castle Draoie angrier and more frustrated than he was already. Bloody, damned Scotland. He never should have come.
He sensed her presence before he could see her on the path. It was odd that he could still feel her nearness after three, long years, but he did.
He waited. One glimpse of that fiery auburn hair as she passed by him was enough proof. He lunged for her.
He took a step back when he saw the glint of her dagger as she whirled around to face him.
He flashed a wicked grin. “Hello, Cait. It’s been a long time.”
It seemed an eternity passed while he waited for her to speak. He had clearly surprised her. He found that unusual because she had been one of the best agents at the Department, once upon a time. And he had sensed her. The surprise in those green eyes vanished. That dangerous glint he knew so well now burned in those forest green eyes.
“It seems you’re a bit rusty, Red.”
“Maybe. You are fortunate that my knife is not rusty. It will make removing your ballocks that much easier.”
“Come now. I did nothing to warrant such punishment. I will remind you, it was you, Cait, who left me without a word while I was on a mission. You ran back to Scotland to get married without leaving a note or explanation. If anyone has the right to carve someone up, it would be me.”
“What do you want?”
“What I deserved three years ago. An explanation.” The usual brilliant blue of his eyes darkened to the intensity of a stormy sky.
“From what I’ve heard from London, you certainly didn’t pine away for me.”
“I must indeed be a legend if tales of my sexual exploits have made it all the way to Scotland,” his words dripped with sarcasm.
“I would use a word other than legend.” Cait took several steps back though she still held her dagger at the ready.
“I’ve learned a great deal about pleasure in these three years. I imagine I could teach you a thing or two. Perhaps you’d like to have a go?” He taunted her.
She tossed her head. “I’d rather slit my own throat.”
This conversation wasn’t going the way he planned. At all. Frustrated, he held out his hand. “Give me the damn dagger.”
“No.”
He shook his head and brought his fingers up to rub his aching temple. “Damn it, Cait! I’m not going to hurt you. I just want to talk. Put the knife away.”
She seemed unsure. Her hand trembled slightly, but it did tremble. Oliver took advantage of her weakness in that moment and grabbed her wrist. He pried the dagger from her fingers with his other hand. He slid her weapon into his pocket.
“Leave me alone. I have my own life now. I’ll not have you pestering me.”
“Pestering?” He forced himself to control his rising anger.
“Madame, the only thing I want is what you owe me. An explanation.
“You don’t deserve one.” She turned and continued on the path.
“Yes. I. Do.” He reached out and took hold of her upper arm. “I did nothing to you. When I left London, we were lovers, when I returned from Vienna you were married to an old man in Scotland. I just want to know why. Why did I not even warrant an explanation? A letter? Something.
She tried to break away. She kicked him in the thigh, though she had been aiming higher. He held fast. With a vice grip on both of her arms, he pulled her against him. 
She kicked and scratched at him. They continued to struggle. She was still very strong but she was out of practice, and no doubt did not condition her body on a daily basis as she had before. He did, and was stronger. Finally, he pinned her arms at her sides. With a sweep of one long, muscled leg, he brought it behind one of hers and unbalanced her. They fell to the ground in a wrestling heap. He tried to keep her there. She tried to break free. 
Finally, he was on top of her, pinning her beneath him.
“Why?” He demanded.
 She shook her head. “My reasons are my own.”
Their heated gazes locked. Each of them struggled for breath.
She wasn’t as lean as he remembered. Oh, she was still tall and slender, but she was curvier, and softer - in all the right places.
And damn it all, he was aroused. He bit back a curse as he realized after all these years he still wanted her. The woman who had brought him to his knees.
She must have noticed. There was a flash of panic in those green eyes. “Let me go!”
“When you’ve given me an explanation, I’ll happily let you go, darling.”
“I will not.”
“Why?”
Cait inhaled sharply when she saw the flicker of pain in the brilliant blue of his eyes. She never guessed she hurt him. Perhaps she was imagining it. Surely, that had to be it. There had never been any talk of feelings, emotion, or permanency. 
She shook her head. “I can’t.” She wouldn’t. Couldn’t now. There was too much at stake.  
He watched her eyes grow misty. All the emotion he used to carry around for her in his heart reappeared. Ah, hell, he’d spent years trying to purge her from his soul. Whatever made him think he could? Now here he was, feeling things he didn’t want to feel. And wanting.
“Damn you, Cait!” He should let her go. Walk away. Forget her for good. He did think about it for a few seconds. He did try.
Instead, he kissed her.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment